Skip to main content

Love Of A Sport

A sport is defined as an 'activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment'. The two words that pop out to me is 'individual' and 'team'. Since high school, I've known cross country as the sport that rules all. For those of you who don't know what cross country is, it's the sport you see skinny lanky high school students run through your local park early on Saturday morning wearing little to nothing singlets. I know what you are thinking, bunch of weirdos who like to run and you say to yourself "I don't get it". Which by then I'd have to say well yea I agree with you but its more than that. People who think of sports think of a team activity usually centered around a ball.  In which I would say you're right but I have a different view and so do millions of others. Cross Country to me is when you have your teammates ready to go to battle with for the next 15 minutes (depending on how long the race is). Who will step on the line before the sound of the gun and run your heart out and never looking back. Counting back to the past week of logging  50 miles this past week and workouts finally means something. It's not a sport where if you're tall you'll excel like basketball, or if you're big and quick you'll be All State like football. Cross Country takes dedication to the fullest degree. If you take off the week before a race, you will be not run a good race.In contrast, athletes playing other sports can take a few weeks off go back on the court/field and pick up where they left off.  To strap on your running shoes and go run for an hour and come back feeling you accomplished something. Not running suicides(basketball)  because your coach is mad because he had a bad day at work. In cross country you're both competing as an individual and a team. You yourself need to finish as quickly as possible in front of other runners as well as your top runners on your team need to cross that finish line to get the top spots.To say running is not a sport I would strongly disagree, and I hope my few points up there would sway you into thinking it is one of the more rigorous sports out there. 



Vocabulary 

Cross Country:  is a sport in which teams and individuals run a race on open-air courses over natural terrain such as dirt or grass. Sometimes the runners are referred to as harriers (dogs)

Singlets (noun): a sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt.

Suicides:  (in basketball): Touch the baseline, turn quickly and sprint to the free-throw line on the opposite side of the court. Touch the free-throw line, turn and sprint back to the baseline. Finally, sprint from your starting position all the way to the opposite baseline, touch the line, and sprint back. That's one suicide.

Logging: to write down what you just had previously done 

Grammar:

Personal pronouns:

I/you
He/she
They
It

Exercise:

1. My name is Bob. (Bob) _________ am English. And this is my family.

2. My mom´s name is Susie. (Susie) _________ is from Germany.

3. Richard is my dad. (My dad) _________ is a waiter.

4. On the left you can see Clifford. (Clifford) _________ is my brother.

5. (Mike and Tom) _________ are twins.

6. Our dog is a boy, Oreo. (Judy) _________ is two years old.

7. (Sue, Simon, Angie and Bob) _________ live in Canterbury.

8. (Canterbury) _________ is not far from London.

9. My grandparents live in Boston. (My grandparents) _________ often come and see us.

10. What can _________ tell me about your family?






Comments

  1. I like how you are relating cross country to a personal connection. Your activity is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Good grammar exercise! You need a vocabulary one too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Vargas and Math

When I tell someone I'm a Math teacher, they always assume I've been always good at math. Unfortunately, and trust me I wish I was, is not the truth. From elementary school until about Highschool I can admit Math was always one of those subjects that I've been okay with nothing too special. Had some tests that I aced and a few that I failed. It wasn't until College where I fully fell in love with it and see what it could do. My math professor at Dowling College was Mr. Vargas. He was the department chair and was my teacher for most of my math classes. I admired how he taught and how he related his lessons to everyday life. I often sat at the desk saying to myself why couldn't any other teacher I have had done this in this way. They way he was teaching I instantly got what he was talking about and did it exceedingly well. He inspired me to be a teacher and to make sure every or most of my lessons to be connected to myself or the outside world in some capacity. I s

Kellenberg Freshman Cross Country Recap

The Kellenberg freshman cross country team focused on the process rather than any specific results or outcome of any race. As expected in a cross country season there were a lot of ups and downs, twists, and turns but overall it was a lot of fun and from a coaching standpoint we saw a lot of hard work and dedication put in this year. At the beginning of the year, it was a learning curve for these young freshmen not only to run fast and hard but to learn how to race and get the best result. At the end of the season, the Firebirds finished an impressive 4th place in a tough race at the NSCHSAA League Championship at Sunken Meadow. The most valuable award clearly goes to John Quinn this season and was seen early to be a workhorse even at tryouts. John was our top runner in every race of the season and even placed himself into the Intersectional cities championship race where he ran against the upper-level high school runners of the CHSAA. This year’s Freshman cross country MVP is Jo